Funding provided for Active Kids, Healthy Kids Initiatives
The Annapolis County Active Kids, Healthy Kids (AKHK) Fund recently awarded a total of $4,950.00 in funding to a variety of programs that will encourage and support physical activity for youth throughout Annapolis County.
The programs receiving funding are:
- Annapolis East Archery Club: A new club, based in Nictaux, open to youth 13 years of age and older. The AKHK funding will assist in the purchase of equipment for start up of the club.
- Active Play at Storytime: The Annapolis Valley Regional Library will purchase equipment for active play during storytime and craft programs for young children at the Annapolis County library branches.
- Baseball in Middleton: Middleton Minor Baseball Association’s goal is to grow baseball in our community by offering both recreational and competitive opportunities for youth, ages 4 – 15. The AKHK funding will help to reduce registration fees for participants.
- Bridgetown Area Summer Active Living Day Camp: The free day camp program offers a wide range of fun activities for young children, ages 6 – 11. The program runs four mornings per week, using facilities in Bridgetown. The AKHK funding will assist with the staffing costs of the program.
- Jubilee Park Natural Playground Additions + Weekly Parent & Tot Group: The volunteer group behind the award-winning natural playground are planning to add new features to the playground. They will also be leading a weekly parent and tot group on Wednesday mornings throughout the summer.
The Annapolis County Active Kids, Healthy Kids Fund is a cooperative project of:
- Annapolis Community Health Board
- Annapolis West Health Foundation
- Family Matters – Annapolis County Family Resource Centre
- Nova Scotia Department of Health and Wellness – Physical Activity, Sport and Recreation Division
- Recreation and Community Development Departments within Annapolis County
- Soldiers Memorial Hospital Foundation
- Valley Active Communities Coalition
For further information, please contact Jennifer Coolen at 825-6611.
Last Updated ( Friday, 01 July 2011 )